New Construction and Redevelopment – HousingU online course
Registration is now closed. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have property and need to decide what to do with it? How do you know whether to renovate or redevelop? New Construction and Redevelopment is a brand new course designed for housing provider leaders, managers and staff, which focuses on the various stages of non-profit housing development and construction. This 12-week online, facilitated course will help both new and seasoned property and building managers, maintenance staff, and administrators begin the construction process with knowledge of how each decision will affect building maintenance and operations upon occupancy. This course will help guide you towards answering some of the big questions facing non-profit housing providers today: Do we design and build new housing; or repair, renovate, redevelop or divest our current sites – in order to sustain affordable housing. This course can be completed in 8 weeks; however, participants have up to 3 months to complete.
Development Steps | The Human Side | Preparing for Redevelopment | Building Regulations and Rating Systems | Trending Technologies | Owner Project Requirements, Statement of Requirements, and Handover Requirements | Commissioning Process and Training | Construction Completion and Post-Occupancy
What you'll learn
By the end of this course, successful participants will able to:
- Describe the stages of development and construction
- List and evaluate a variety of redevelopment strategies
- Describe the factors involved in determining rehabilitation or redevelopment
- Explain the key elements in determining financial feasibility
- Make use of maintenance knowledge and lessons from existing buildings to designing new buildings
- Develop a plan to engage with tenants during planning, including relocation during construction and rehousing after completion
- Explain the role of building code, local government regulations and building rating systems (such as LEED and Passive House) in design and construction
- Explain trending technology in residential design, construction and operation
- Describe key features of high-efficiency equipment in relation to building maintenance
- Explain the commissioning process during construction and pre- and post-occupancy
- Explain the elements of construction completion and substantial performance of the work
This course includes approximately 32 hours of content. It is recommended that you commit to studying for 3-4 hours a week in order to be done in 8 weeks. However, you will have up to 3 months to complete. You can progress at your own pace, log in to do assignments, and participate in forum discussions whenever when it’s convenient for you. Having said that, we do encourage you to stick to the posted weekly schedule so that most participants will be working on the same topic at roughly the same time.
Some prior knowledge of Operations and Maintenance would be helpful. Completion of Asset Management Foundations is recommended, but not mandatory. As an online course, participants must have basic computer skills and have access to a computer with MS Office 2010 or later and a modern, safe browser. We recommend Chrome, however any updated browser will work. Templates used in this course may require MS Excel, MS Word and .pdf reader. This course is provided in English and requires reading and writing at a grade 8 level.
Start and end dates
April 08, 2019 - June 29, 2019
$139 (+GST) for members , $209 (+GST) for non-members
Volume Discount: Register 3 or more people from the same organization for this course and your rate will be reduced to $109 each (+GST). This offer is for BCNPHA members only. To take advantage of this discounted rate, please email email@example.com.
This course is part of the Operations and Maintenance (O&M) Program.
To register, click the large green button at the top of this page: “Login to account”, or “Create an account” (if you do not yet have one). Note: We require a unique email address for each course participant as our online learning system will not accept duplicate emails. If you need further instructions, click Course registration instructions.
For more information email: