Cannabis Law for Housing Providers – Webinar
In October of 2018, cannabis was legalized in Canada for recreational and medical purposes. Despite the significant impact that the legalization of cannabis can have on those in the non-profit housing community, there is still a general lack of understanding of the variety of laws that govern the use and growing of cannabis on private property in British Columbia. This 1-hour webinar will provide an overview of the legal regime in place in the province including a discussion of the Residential Tenancy Act and Human Rights Code as well as an update on the evolving law regarding medical use.
By the end of this session, participants will be able to
- Describe the basic legal regime that governs the use and growing of cannabis on private property in British Columbia;
- Understand the rights and obligations of both landlords and tenants in regards to the use and growing of cannabis on private property in British Columbia; and
- Apply the laws to their daily practice as housing providers and property managers.
Who should attend
Property managers and operators of non-profit housing as well as anyone responsible for setting and/or administering building policies.
Why you should attend
- To increase your knowledge on the laws regarding cannabis and their impact on the provision of non-profit housing.
- To learn how to manage your buildings in compliance with the laws regarding cannabis and ensure that any potential legal issues are managed effectively.
Michael Litchfield is a management consultant, lawyer and educator and is the founder of Thinklab Legal Education and Training. Michael’s practice is focused on the delivery of legal education and consulting services to clients in a wide range of industries. Michael has a specific depth of experience within the housing sector where he has worked with a range of clients including the BC Non-Profit Housing Association, the BC Real Estate Association and the Professional Association of Managing Agents.
Michael is also a professional speaker and educator who regularly speaks on topics relating to management and law. Michael is the Director of the Business Law Clinic at the University of Victoria Faculty of Law, is an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia Allard School of Law and is Associate Faculty at Royal Roads University.
Start and end dates
May 02, 2019 - May 02, 2019
10:00 am - 11:00 am PST
$20 plus GST for members $40 plus GST for non-members
How to register
To register, click the large green button at the top of this page: “Login to account”, or “Create an account” (if you do not yet have one). Note: We require a unique email address for each participant. If you need further instructions, click Course registration instructions. You will be sent an email with access instructions at least 48 hours (2 working days) prior to the webinar date.
Note: Registration cutoff deadline is 12 noon, April 30, due to lead time required to process registration accounts, and provide participants with advance webinar access instructions.