How to Apply
To apply for a bursary fill out the application form and upload a letter of support from your housing society employer along with proof of your CIH membership. Please have the letter of support prepared, and proof of CIH membership, in advance of your application.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for a decision on your bursary application. Applications will be scored based on the criteria described in the application form.
Bursaries will be allocated on a first‐come, first‐served basis, subject to approval of the application and submission of appropriate documentation.
Bursaries are open to employees of all non-profit housing providers in BC and will be awarded on a first come first serve basis and the following terms:
- Only employees of non-profit societies may apply.
- This is open to both members and non-member societies.
- Employees must currently be employed by a non-profit society.
- Current board directors of non-profit societies will be considered under certain circumstances. Please contact BCNPHA for further information. (Consultants or other affiliated individuals will not be eligible for this bursary).
- Bursaries are individually linked and cannot be transferred once approved.
- Following written confirmation of bursary allocation by BCNPHA, registration and all other processes related to CIH course participation shall be undertaken through the CIH.
- All supporting documents must be sent in to be considered. This includes a written statement, letter of support from your employer, and proof of CIH membership.
- The bursary will only cover 2/3 of the tuition fees. You will be responsible for the remaining 1/3.
- Once the bursary is approved, the applicant has two years to complete the designation before the bursary becomes void. Exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis.
Bursary applications will be accepted on an on-going basis and will be reviewed twice a year:
- If you apply by May 31st your application will be considered for the September thru December courses
- If you apply by October 31st, you will be considered for the January thru July courses
Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis.
** CIH Canada also has course registration deadlines, which can be found on the www.cihcanada.ca website.
Bursary Application Checklist
1) Short essay (250 to 500 words/max 3,000 characters) should cover the following:
- Why are you interested in applying for this bursary?
- Describe how becoming certified would impact your organization.
- Describe your present and past roles in the non-profit housing sector.
- What are your career goals, and how does this relate to affordable housing?
2) Dated and signed letter of support from your employer in pdf format
3) Proof of CIH Membership.