News Release: BCNPHA’s virtual event explores affordable housing issues alongside COVID-19, opioid crisesPosted
VANCOUVER, BC (June 15, 2020) – For BC’s non-profit housing providers, the COVID-19 pandemic created tremendous challenges: keeping tenants safe and sociallydistanced; decreasing revenue; staff shortages; lack of personal protective equipment; new cleaning protocols; supporting tenants with mental health and addiction challenges; and, many more.
On Tuesday, June 16 BC Non-Profit Housing Association will welcome more than 400 housing leaders for the Regional Education, Networking & Tradeshow (RENT) event to discuss these and many other issues in the first province-wide virtual gathering for the affordable housing sector. From their homes and offices, participants will meet online for a day of education and professional development to tackle the new challenges facing our sector.
VIRTUAL RENT PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
- Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing, will speak at our mid-day plenary pop-up (11:45 a.m. to noon)
- Emergency preparedness panel at our morning plenary featuring Janice Abbott, CEO of Atira Women’s Resource Society, Rosanna McGregor, Executive Director of the Cariboo Friendship Society and Elysia Dempsey, Provincial Director – BC & Yukon of the Canadian Red Cross Disaster Management Program (8:45 to 10 a.m.)
- Education sessions including:
- Safe Drug Supply and COVID-19 in Non-Profit Housing – discussion on the call for a safe, regulated drug supply, supporting tenants while maintaining social distancing and the risk of overdoses given isolation protocols
- Dialogue with Shayne Ramsay – BC Housing CEO discusses the sector’s response to COVID-19, gaps in the housing system and plans for future phases of the pandemic
- The Key to Safety –increase in reports of violence against women during the pandemic, and how organizations can respond effectively
- Tenant Engagement – two sessions exploring how housing providers can ensure their residents are staying connected and safe during the pandemic
- Asset Management – sessions explore modular construction, capital planning, zero-energy buildings and more
Media are welcome to join us for all or part of the day to attend sessions or connect with members and/or presenters.
When: Tuesday, June 16th, 2020 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive RENT event access login.
Contact: Dean Pogas, Director of Communications at 604-363-6590 or email@example.comBack to News