Preparing for Extreme Heat and Poor Air Quality Events: Health Impacts – Webinar
Registration is now closed. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Format: This session is offered simultaneously as an online webinar and in-person, interactive session, which will be recorded at Brix Recording Studio (102-211 Columbia St., Vancouver). Seating is limited to 20 people max.
Description: Extreme hot weather and poor air quality events related to forest wildfires and rising air temperatures are occurring more and more often across the province. Join us for this interactive session in which you will learn how to recognize extreme heat illnesses and how to respond (e.g. when to call 911); become familiar with how to prevent or lower the risk of extreme heat and poor air quality and related illnesses; and hear about existing resources for communicating with staff and tenants.
The speakers will include health experts and sustainability practitioners involved in preparing for extreme heat and poor air quality events:
- Dr. Sarah Henderson, Senior Scientist, Environmental Health Services, BC Center for Disease Control
- Dr. Michael Schwandt, Public Health Physician, BC Center for Disease Control
- Tamsin Mills, Senior Sustainability Specialist, City of Vancouver
- Magdalena Szpala, Senior Sustainability Advisor, BC Housing
The session will be moderated by Jackie Kanyuk, Asset Management Coordinator, BCNPHA.
What you will learn
By the end of this session, participants will be able to:
1. Confidently recognize extreme heat and poor air quality risks and illnesses and what to do.
2. Know what actions can be taken in preparation for this summer, such as where to access information, how to educate your staff and tenants, and how to create an action plan.
3. Take-away practical resources.
Who should attend:
Front-line support staff/building managers and operators of non-profit housing as well as leadership at the executive and board level.
May 14, 2019
3/26/20 10:00 am - 3/26/20 11:30 am
Free for members & free for non-members
How to register
To register, click the large green button at the top of this page: “Login to account”, or “Create an account” (if you do not yet have one). Note: We require a unique email address for each participant. If you need further instructions, click Course registration instructions.
Please note: This webinar will be recorded. Participants will be emailed webinar dial in instructions in advance of the webinar.
This session delivered in partnership with BCNPHA, BC Housing and the City of Vancouver.
With special thanks to our education partner,