IAP2 Foundations in Public Participation (five days)
Apply now to attend the IAP2 Foundations in Public Participation program for only $200
Five-day internationally recognized community and stakeholder training offered now to non-profit housing organizations
When: April 29 – May 3, 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC (Vancity Head Office)
Are you wondering how to design, plan and manage community and stakeholder engagements that will meet your objectives and move your projects forward in a timely, cost-effective way? The IAP2 Foundations in Public Participation program will help you learn and apply the essential elements of successful engagement planning. You will learn how to navigate a five-step planning process to ensure dialogue is positive, respectful and productive and objectives are met.
BCNPHA, in partnership with Vancity and with support from CMHC, is able to offer this five-day program to 20 representatives from non-profit housing organizations at a cost of $200 + tax (standard cost for this course is $2,325 + tax).
The training is particularly relevant for non-profits who are about to embark on a journey of affordable housing development and want to engage in meaningful dialogue and develop positive and supportive relationships with their neighbours and the wider community for the long term.
Due to the limited number of seats available, the greatly reduced cost and the high value of the training, we are inviting applications to identify participants who will benefit most from the training. Please click the “Apply Now” button below for information and to apply.
- Participant Fee: $200 + tax.
- A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- A limited number of travel bursaries are available to out-of-town participants to cover partial transportation and/or accommodation costs. Please see the application form for details.
- The International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) Foundations in Public Participation training will be provided by licensed IAP2 trainers from Delaney + Associates. Delaney + Associates is a national engagement firm with offices in Vancouver and Ottawa. They provide IAP2 training across the country, bringing their many years of engagement consulting experience to the classroom. They look forward to sharing these experiences with participants, including work done with the City of Vancouver and its recent modular housing projects.
- More information about the training is available here.
- The course is specifically designed for staff who will be designing and implementing community and stakeholder engagement plans.
- The program will be customized with content, guest speakers and case studies from the affordable and social housing sector; for learning purposes, the case study approach will be jointly developed with participants’ examples.
- There are two modules to the Foundations program – Planning for Effective Public Participation (three days) and Techniques for Public Participation (two days). IAP2 issues a certificate of completion for each, as well as a certificate called Foundations in Public Participation.
Who can register/apply?
- This Vancity partnership and CMHC supported training is exclusively reserved for non-profit housing organizations (preference will be given to BCNPHA members, but all non-profit housing providers can apply) and non-profit housing organizations located in the Vancity service area: Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley, Squamish, Capital Regional District and the Cowichan Valley.
- Registration is limited to one attendee per organization.
- Attendees should be in a community engagement, communication or strategic position within their organization that would likely be designing or implementing an engagement program.
- Organizations should be developing a property already, or looking towards (re)development. Your new project could be in the early stages (i.e. visioning/feasibility/planning), but should be no longer than two-four years out.
- Participants must commit to attending for the full duration of the course, starting on April 29 and ending on May 3, 2019. Attendance cannot be shared.