Shelter Resource Worker #0373
Website Lookout Housing and Health Society
HOURS AND DAYS OF WORK:
• Tuesday through Saturday
• Shift times are 24:00 to 08:00
• Shifts are 7.25 hours in length
• Days of rest shall be consecutive. Schedule may change with two weeks’ notice
• Probationary/ qualifying period will be 488 hours with mid and end point reviews
The Shelter Resource Worker (SRW) reports to the Site Manager and works in accordance with the mission and philosophy of Lookout Housing and Health Society including following Lookout’s Code of Ethics. SRWs are front-line staff working within a 24hr, 7 day a week emergency shelter for homeless adults who struggle with a variety of issues such as homelessness, addictions and mental health. The SRW provides intake, orientation and support for guests entering the shelter. The SRW will connect with public service agencies relevant to the needs of the shelter guest.
JOB DUTIES: (in brief)
• Provide support, supervision and assistance to homeless adults who may be facing multiple barriers
• Accept referrals and identify and share information on a variety of Lookout or external resources.
• Refer guests to a variety of community services
• Interview and provide basic necessities ensuring a safe and supportive environment for all;
• Complete required records and maintain statistical data
• Support others in the shelter who need assistance
• Provide assistance for new staff
• Job duties are complex and may have a few disagreeable factors
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCE:
• Related Diploma or Certificate or minimum Grade 12 education, plus one (2) year of recent related experience or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
• Familiarity with community resources, particularly addiction, mental health, welfare and harm reduction.
• Must have current OFA 1 First Aid Certificate
• Crisis Intervention Skills Training an asset
• Ability to work independently or in a team setting
• Strong ability to manage stress and organize workload
• Excellent communication, writing and documentation and organizational skills.
• Understands and maintain clientele/worker boundaries
• Ability to work with disadvantaged and challenging adults in a diverse environment
• Strong physical and mental ability to perform work tasks and operate job related equipment.
• A minimum of two (2) years sobriety if you have had concerns related to alcohol and/or drug use.
• Criminal Record Clearance – vulnerable sector
CLOSING DATE: Applications will be accepted until 17:00 hours, November 9, 2017
TO APPLY: Refer to http://lookoutsociety.ca/about-us/careers/current-postings
Submit Application form and resume. Quote Job Posting #
Email to: email@example.com or Fax to: 604-255-0790
“All employees, including laid off and displaced employees, are entitled to apply on the vacancy and be considered pursuant to the provisions of Article 12.9 (Selection Criteria).” Internal applicants must notify manager of intent to apply. External applicants will be reviewed after Internal.
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WELCOME TO APPLY. THOSE SHORT-LISTED WILL BE CONTACTED
Closing Date: November 9, 2017