Ready, Set, Build! (Vernon) – HousingU online course
Once you have registered using your bcnpha.ca account details, you will receive an email with course specific details including important dates and on how to log into HousingU, BCNPHA’s online learning management system. Once you log into HousingU, you will have access to all the online resources, forums, templates and colleagues from across the sector. You’ll also be able to ask the facilitator questions in preparation for your face-to-face session.
To ensure you get the best value from your face-to-face session we recommend you spend 3 to 6 hours familiarizing yourself with the first three online topics. After the face-to-face session you’ll retain access to the online resources, your colleagues and facilitator in the course area, as part of a sector-wide community of practice area.
Join us on Friday, September 22 in Vernon (Prestige Hotel & Conference Centre, 4411 32 St, Vernon) for the 1-day face-to-face session, which will run from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. This session is an opportunity for you to dig deeper into the resources from the online course, work through case-studies, meet each other, hear from experts including representatives from CMHC and ask question specific to your new building or development project.
Steps in the development process | Creating a development team | Financial feasibility | Building effective partnerships
What you'll learn
Participating in this course will help you:
- Describe the steps in developing affordable rental housing for low income households
- Explain the components, use and value of a housing needs study
- Apply the results of a housing needs study to develop a project concept
- Conduct a preliminary financial feasibility assessment for a proposed housing project
- Identify financial and other partners for affordable housing development
- Explain the roles and responsibilities of the key players involved in developing affordable housing
- Prepare a development or redevelopment plan for new or existing social housing
- Describe the current funding environment for non-market housing
- Use a standard format to prepare a proposal for funding or other partnership
3-6 hours online prior to the face-to-face session, and approximately 6 hours for the 1-day face-to-face session. After the face-to-face session, you retain access to the online course area where you can continue to interact with colleagues, the facilitator, CMHC, and access the resources.
There are no prerequisites for attending RSB! online or for the face-to-face session other than a basic understanding of online communication and access to the internet.
RSB! has been designed to be accessible for everyone from Board Members to Development Consultants, to Building Administrators and Managers. RSB! is for Members and non-members from organizations of any size who are contemplating, or in the process of building or redeveloping affordable housing in their community.
Start and end dates
August 08, 2017 - October 20, 2017
$79.00 + GST for members $119.00 + GST for non-members
Volume Discount: If you send 3 or more people from the same organization, the cost is $49 + GST for members; no discount for non-members. To take advantage of this discount, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Registration includes breakfast, lunch and light refreshments.
Please note: you are responsible for any costs associated with your travel and accommodation that may be needed to attend the face-to-face workshop.
For more information email: